|About the program | Early Intervention | Private School | Staff | Parent to Parent | History
How did Stepping Stones Begin?
In April 1974, at the request of several Essex County parents, a pilot “infant stimulation” program was started by Essex Unit of the New Jersey Association for Retarded Citizens. The program began with six infants, six volunteers, one paid staff person.
In 1978, Stepping Stones found its current home in the Trinity Covenant Church in Livingston. Over the years, the program grew to accommodate the needs of the children it served: a preschool was added for children ages three to six and an early intervention was developed to service the needs of children from birth to three years of age.
In 1986 the preschool became licensed by the New Jersey Department of Education. Two small classrooms serviced ten children for ten hours a week. The program expanded in 1998 and 1999 to include full day programming, an extended school year program and two additional classrooms servicing children ages six to nine. As a result of this growth, the staff grew from one occupational therapist to a paid staff of thirty five today, and over ninety volunteers. The school currently provides support to an average of thirty four students.
For More Information:
Stepping Stones Early Intervention Programs and Parent to Parent please contact Judy Bellina at 973-535-1181 ext. 1223
Stepping Stones School please contact the school principal Sue Wilson at 862-210-8781
The Stepping Stones Early Intervention and School is located in Roseland, NJ at 19 Harrison Avenue. The location is convenient to those traveling from all areas of Northern New Jersey.
Click Here for Directions